Here’s how the pumpkin based on the last sketch turned out. I used the sketch as a starting point and wasn’t aiming for an exact copy. The texture of this pumpkin was quite difficult to work with, it was unusually grainy but it turned out ok. About 7 hours worth of work. On to the next one! ;)
PUMPKIN CARVING SKETCH
It’s pumpkin season again! Yay! This year I’v been using Procreate for sketching out some carving ideas…Of course, when sculpting a pumpkin you can’t have an idea that is set in stone from the start as the pumpkin will make you deviate from it. It has it’s own idea of where things should go and that is a good thing. But it’s cool to have an idea nonetheless, and use it as a starting point.
"JOIN THE DARK SEED OF THE FORCE!"
My first sculpted pumpking this year, took 6 hours to sculpt. Hoping to have time to sculpt several others until Halloween!
Here’s a quick timelapse of the “CAT-ASTROPHY!!!” paintover I posted a few days ago. Hope you enjoy!
A quick paintover I had a lot of fun painting for a collaboration between myself and french artist Faireset! :)
It’s been a busy summer, and now that things are slowing down I will hopefully get a bit of time back for some Procreating! Meanwhile, here’s some quick female studies I painted for practice…;)
And a mini making-of of the fish props! Hope you enjoy! :)
These are some silicone fish props we made here at Jako Lanterne Studio (jakolanterne.com). The props were intended for a photoshoot and needed to be posable in various positions for each picture. The digital color explorations were painted digitally over a photo of an unpainted silicone cast with the Procreate app. The finished props had fins that were fully posable with 16 wires going all the way to each tip. The body could be posed any way desired via the internal armature.
Nothing fancy, just some quick creature development.:)
And here’s the timelapse: I tried to paint zoomed out as long as possible working on the whole character before really getting the likeness right. Only then did I move on to the environment. I didn’t plan anything or do a sketch before hand so I had to figure out stuff as I went along. Not an ideal way to work, but it worked out ok in the end! I really wanted to include some very specific elements of the original Nostromo set like the feeding bird, the helmet, the Weyland-Yutani logo, a door, monitors ( I had fun taking screenshots of actual monitors from the movie) and of course a subtle presence of the alien. It was a challenge composition wise! As usual, go to the Vimeo website for a hi-res version or use the vimeo app. :)